As a fully qualified Fellowship member of both the British, and the Irish Society of Hearing Aid Audiologists, he has years of advanced training both locally and nationally.
Find Out More About Ivor
Did you know that what you eat can affect your hearing? Some foods can help to prevent hearing loss, and this is great news for people who are worried about developing hearing loss in the future or have already noticed hearing loss and are keen to prevent further damage.
Here at Hidden Hearing, we know how important it is to protect your hearing throughout your life, and we want to help to make this as easy as possible. We’ve come up with a list of essentials to ensure you eat a diet that is as nutrient rich as possible, helping to sustain your fragile hearing system and prevent deterioration as you age.
Which Foods Will Help Keep Your Hearing Healthy?
You should try to include foods from the following groups in your diet on a regular basis:
- Antioxidants. Our bodies need high levels of antioxidants on a daily basis, and foods such as spinach, asparagus, beans, eggs and nuts, which contain folate, are ideal sources. These foods can protect the delicate nerve tissue in your inner ears, and have been shown to reduce the risk of hearing loss by up to twenty percent!
- Omega 3 fatty acids. Long chain omega 3 fatty acids are vital for many parts of the body, especially for maintaining health in the brain and in the hearing organs. Oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel and sardines, are especially useful in preventing age-related hearing loss, and it is recommended that you include these in your diet at least twice a week
- Magnesium. Magnesium is a vital mineral that many of us are lacking due to the depletion of natural sources in the soil. Foods that contain magnesium include bananas, potatoes, artichokes and broccoli, and studies have shown that magnesium can protect against noise-induced hearing loss.
- Zinc. Zinc, found in foods such as dark chocolate, can help to protect your inner ears against age-related hearing loss. Researching new recipes that include zinc rich foods could give you new inspiration in the kitchen, too.
- Essential vitamins. Vitamins C and E are especially useful in the fight against hearing loss, and work to reduce dangerous pathogens and build up your immune system. This is vital in warding off potentially damaging ear infections, and these essential vitamins are found in many fruits and vegetables, including oranges, apples, kiwis and pineapples
Protect Your Hearing at Hidden Hearing
Eating a balanced diet that contains a good range of vitamins and minerals is just one way to protect your hearing and your general health. Avoiding exposure to dangerously loud noises, and protecting your ears against injuries can also reduce your risk of hearing loss.
If you are concerned about hearing loss, it’s important to seek professional help as soon as possible to prevent further damage occurring. Visit an experienced audiologist today to find the best solution for you and your lifestyle. Hidden Hearing is Ireland’s leading private provider of hearing care solutions, and our national network includes over seventy-five branches and clinics.
Contact Hidden Hearing online today, or pop into your local branch.