Many people suffer from hearing loss, but only a minority of these wear hearing aids and this is largely due to worries about the stigma hearing aids carry. Worries about hearing aids mean that people avoid seeking a solution to their hearing loss, and put themselves at risk of related conditions such as depression and dementia.
When the auditory processing areas of the brain are not stimulated, because of hearing loss, these areas can shrink and this can cause dementia and depression. However, if these areas begin to be stimulated once again, for example, when using hearing aids, the brain begins to heal itself and can grow these areas back again.
Five Fears About Wearing Hearing Aids
1. Hearing aids are seen as ageing. People often worry that wearing a hearing aid will make them appear older. However, hearing aids are now so tiny and discreet that they will be invisible to most people, and it is also possible to use devices that fit completely into the ear canal or look like Bluetooth earpieces. Besides, it’s far more ageing to need a much higher volume than the rest of your friends or family, or to have to ask people to repeat themselves all the time!
2. Visiting an audiologist may be overwhelming. If you don’t know what to expect, it can be a worrying experience to visit a doctor or audiologist. However, these professionals are trained to make you feel at ease and will be happy to work through the process with you slowly to ensure that you are supported. You will be required to discuss your health and your hearing, and to have your ears examined and your levels of hearing measured using specialist equipment.
3. Hearing tests and hearing aids are too expensive. Many people worry that hearing tests and hearing aids are expensive, but you can get a free hearing test at Hidden Hearing, Ireland’s leading private provider of hearing care solutions. Hearing aids can be expensive, but great quality solutions are becoming increasingly affordable as technology is developed that makes them more efficient and more sophisticated than ever.
4. Hearing aids may not work well. In the past, people may have experienced many difficulties with feedback, background noise and devices that were difficult to use. The technology used in digital hearing devices today is some of the most sophisticated technology on the planet – more hi-tech than your smartphone – and these problems are a thing of the past. Try digital hearing aids to hear the difference.
5. Going out may be harder with hearing aids. It can be worrying to go out in public with a hearing aid, but more public venues than ever before now support hearing loss and offer solutions such as hearing loops that work with your hearing device to make it easier for you. It can help to research the options before you go out, so that you’re fully prepared for every situation and know where to go for an easier experience.
Take a Free Hearing Test at Hidden Hearing
Visit us at at Hidden Hearing for a free hearing test and to discuss your hearing concerns with one of our skilled audiologists. Our national network includes over seventy-five branches and clinics, so we’re sure to have a location near you.
If you are living with hearing loss, you can try our range of excellent digital hearing aids to find the right solution for you, so contact Hidden Hearing online today or pop into your local branch to meet our friendly team of experts.