Ms Doyle won the 2017 'Irish Audiologist of the Year. The competition is organised by leading hearing aid battery manufacturer Rayovac, a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings Inc., who this year welcomed a new sponsor, The European Federation of Hard of Hearing People (EFHOH), on board, joining longstanding partners Audio Infos, and the European Hearing Instrument Manufacturers Association (EHIMA).
Find Out More About Yvonne
Hearing loss is a very common condition, but it is often misunderstood by people who do not live with it on a daily basis. One of the most frustrating myths about hearing loss is that hearing aids offer a perfect solution to the problem, just as glasses can offer a solution to vision impairment.
Here at Hidden Hearing, we have an excellent selection of hearing aids that includes digital options that give a very good hearing experience. However, we understand that it is often disappointing to our customers that even the very best hearing aids cannot restore perfect hearing.
Why Hearing Loss Are Not Like Glasses:
· They can’t make hearing normal. Where glasses can take a blurry image and sharpen the focus to create an ideal ‘seeing’ experience, hearing aids can only amplify and process a sound. Nothing can compensate for the damage that the ears have sustained, so sounds heard using a hearing aid are often still incomplete.
· They are not socially desirable. While glasses are commonly viewed as a fashion accessory, hearing aids still carry a stigma which makes people reluctant to wear them. Studies show that people often delay seeking help for hearing loss for many years because they are worried about wearing hearing aids, and this can allow the problem to become much worse.
· They require batteries or recharging. There is much more daily care involved in wearing hearing aids than in wearing glasses, and this can be time consuming and frustrating. Not only do hearing aids require regular battery changes or charging, but they must also be cleaned, and dried thoroughly on a daily basis.
· They are very expensive. It is possible to buy expensive glasses, but even these are a fraction of the price of hearing aids. Top of the range hearing aids include impressive extras such as music streaming and phone compatibility, but these can be very costly indeed. However, payment plans are designed to make these accessible to all customers, and we will be happy to work with you to find the best solution for you.
· They can increase sensitivity in the ears. If you are wearing hearing aids most of the time, you may find that your hearing organs adjust and you become more sensitive to loud noises. Unlike glasses, which correct the vision impairment, hearing aids work with the brain to decode sounds more accurately, leading to changes in how sounds are heard.
Book A Free Hearing Test at Hidden Hearing
If you think you may have hearing loss, you should seek help from an experienced audiologist as soon as you can. Hidden Hearing is the leading private provider of hearing care solutions in Ireland, with a national network that includes over sixty-five branches and clinics. Pop into your local branch today, or contact Hidden Hearing online.