Find Out More About Jim
Are you planning to surprise your significant other and treat him or her to a Valentines meal this evening? If either of you has hearing loss it can be tricky to find a spot that isn’t too crowded or loud. When making a reservation for a romantic dinner, here are a few questions to ask beforehand.
- When is your restaurant the least noisy?
- During or near peak dining hours, is there a place that we could reserve a table that is quieter than others? Spots that you should generally avoid are near the kitchen, bar or host
- Can we have a table where one person’s back can be against the wall, such as a corner spot? This is helpful because background noise is one of the biggest problems for people with hearing loss. However, if your spouse wears advanced hearing aids with directional microphones, it might be better for him or her to sit with the moist noise coming from behind.
- Does your restaurant play background music? Compounded with even a slightly noisy environment, this could make hearing extra difficult.
There are a few other restaurant considerations you should keep in mind when planning a Valentine’s Day meal with your significant other, including:
- When you get to the restaurant, ask for a written version of the specials. Sometimes, staff have them memorized and can ramble them off with impressive speed. But for people with hearing loss and those who rely upon lipreading, it’s better to see the specials written down.
- Consider an alternate meal time, rather than dinner. Restaurants are always packed on Valentine’s Day.
- Pick a restaurant that has been designed to swallow up noise. These are restaurants that have widely spaced tables with tablecloths, curtains and soft fabric-covered furniture.
Okay, so maybe it is one of those Hallmark holidays, if you don’t feel like going out an alternative is to avoid the rush of busy restaurants, stay in and enjoy a home cooked meal. Whether you spend an evening in or enjoy dinner at a romantic restaurant, happy Valentine’s Day and bon appétit!
Book a Free Hearing Test at Hidden Hearing
Hidden Hearing is Ireland’s leading private provider of hearing care solutions, and our national network includes over seventy-five branches and clinics. You can visit us for a free hearing test to establish the extent of your hearing loss and discuss your options with our experienced audiologists.