As a fully qualified Fellowship member of both the British, and the Irish Society of Hearing Aid Audiologists, he has years of advanced training both locally and nationally.
Find Out More About Ivor
We all know that a healthy diet is essential in order to stay fit and well into old age, but many people do not realise that eating well is also a very important way to protect their hearing. What you eat can be a vital factor in your hearing health, and we have some delicious ideas that can help to prevent hearing loss.
Healthy Foods To Prevent Hearing Loss
You should try to include the following in your diet regularly in order to keep your hearing organs healthy and in great shape:
1. Oily fish. Experts often advise us to eat oily fish, such as salmon, sardines, and tuna, two to three times a week to boost our brain cell development, and this is also very good for our hearing. Research shows that eating these fish, which contain essential Omega 3 fats, twice a week can make you 42% less likely to develop age-related hearing loss than those who do not eat fish.
2. Dark chocolate. Here’s an easy one to indulge in! Dark chocolate is a great source of zinc, which is also found in pumpkin seeds and garlic, and is essential to keep our immune systems healthy and help to stave off ear infections.
3. Bananas. Bananas are full of magnesium, which is also found in nuts, seeds and green leafy vegetables. Magnesium is very important to keep the body functioning healthily, and is known to have a very positive role in protecting the hearing organs. You may wish to look into supplementation as levels in food are much lower today than in previous years, due to the depletion of the soil through intensive farming methods.
4. Anti-oxidants found in fresh fruit and vegetables are vital for healthy development, particularly in combating the free radicals that can lead to chronic problems throughout the body. You can prevent free radical damage to the delicate nerve tissues inside your ears when you eat foods such as green leafy vegetables, eggs and nuts.
5. Vitamins and minerals are necessary for healthy growth and development, and vitamins C and E are especially important for healthy hearing. You can ensure that you get enough of these immune strengthening vitamins by including plenty of fruits such as oranges, apples and peppers in your diet.
Book a Free Hearing Test at Hidden Hearing
If you are concerned about your hearing, it is important to seek help straight away to prevent conditions such as dementia and depression, which are linked to hearing loss. You may be surprised to discover just how tiny and discreet our hearing aids are, and we have a great range for you to try. Contact us today to book a free hearing test with our friendly team.
Hidden Hearing is Ireland’s leading private provider of hearing care solutions, and our national network includes over seventy-five branches and clinics. We provide free hearing tests and our experienced team of audiologists will help you to find the best solution for your lifestyle.